Best diet for rheumatoid arthritis can play a vital role in suppressing some symptoms like pain and inflammation in a patient. Someone suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, a chronic inflammatory disorder that primarily affects the synovial joints, may have learnt that some specific diet or certain foods can lower the intensity of pain, stiffness and fatigue. A day will come when this diet will act as medicine for those with R A and other inflammatory disease, as because the conventional medicines that include drugs and steroids, has several fatal side effects. Eating a healthy diet and avoiding some food items can really help the symptoms of R A.
Some best diet to be included
- Omega 3 fatty acids– Omega 3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats which actually act in decreasing some inflammation by forbidding the production of some cytokines and enzymes which are responsible for eroding the cartilages. This is the healthiest of fats that are readily required by people having rheumatoid arthritis. The source of these fats is some cold water fish like salmon, herring, tuna, sardines, flaxseed, and some sort of nuts especially walnuts.
- Vitamins– In this category Vitamin C in the diet is necessary for collagen, which is an essential component of cartilage. It shows some relief in pain and swelling. Some sources of this vital nutrient is guava, strawberries, pineapples, kiwi , cauliflower, papaya, lemon, broccoli, etc
- Extra virgin olive oils– Olive oil is nothing but monounsaturated fat, which has a good quality to suppress inflammation, as it has antioxidants known as polyphenols. This oil should be used in cooking other than some vegetable oils.
- Antioxidants– Radicals are produced due to inflammation, which may appear due to toxins and natural body chemicals. Due to this the synovium joints gets damaged. So it is required to have some anti-oxidant product like carotenes, quercetin, and anthocyanidins in your diet to diminish the progression of inflammation and pain.
- Selenium– Intake of this mineral, Selenium is one of the best diets for rheumatoid arthritis patient, as its low level in the diet increases the risk of having R A. Some sources of this mineral may be found in crab, lean beef, pasta, tilapia, cod, turkey, etc.
- Some spices– Some spices like turmeric and ginger has significant effect in suppressing some sort of inflammation and pain. These spices are used since the ancient times and are also referred in Ayurveda. Ginger helps in thinning of blood where as turmeric in decreasing inflammation.
Before experimenting with this best diet for rheumatoid arthritis, it is advised to do some sort of physical exercise in order to lose some weight, if a patient is obese or overweight, this weight puts extra pressure to the joints especially the knees and normally brings wear and tear to the joints and cartilages. This extra weight produces some ill effecting chemicals and hormones that are responsible for the pain and inflammation to the patient suffering with rheumatoid arthritis.