People suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis are more prone to have depression than the general population. This is not uncertain as because unbearable pain and inflammation generally leads a patient to some sort of depression. According to some research it has been found that rheumatoid arthritis is somehow associated with some sort of depression. Patient suffering from depression has some worse effect that could be fatal and even challenge its mortality.
25 to 30% of patient fall in depression with rheumatoid Arthritis. This is a psychological problem, which results in some symptoms like pain and disability, which are chronic in nature. Social stress and isolation are some factors that play a vital role in leading a patient to depression. This social stress and isolation is potent reason of depression in general population and also related to Rheumatoid Arthritis. It is very important to talk to a doctor or physician if a patient is feeling depressed, otherwise it will create a big communication gap between the patient and the doctor and it will lead to some malfunction in the treatment.
Causes of depression
There are several causes of depression in a patient especially suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis. Some causes may include genes, past event, current event, genetic factor, biological factor, etc.
- Genetic Factor– A patient generally gets this depression from one generation to another, which runs in their family. A patient coming from this family has a greater chance of getting depressed.
- Biological factor– Exact reason is not yet known that what causes the brain to get depressed. It happens when a part of brain doesn’t seem to work properly, and it is estimated that some chemicals in the brain may have fluctuated in its level. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters.
- Age factor– Some elderly people have a high risk of getting depression as they are socially isolated and lead a lonely life.
- Sex factor– Women are found more times affected by this phenomenon other than men because they get some hormonal change throughout their life, which is a vital factor.
- Health factor– Some health factors like pain, inflammation, heart disease, lungs problem, etc plays a vital role in getting a patient into depression.
Many a times, people often get depressed if there are certain problems like getting married, divorce, new job, illness of relatives, and also by consuming several drugs and steroids, can cause some sort of depression to the patients suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Treatment of Depression
Depression was a serious issue in the past but now days it is not considered as serious, as some profession therapist can help you a great. It is just from your part to devote some time to seek help from them. It just needed some financial back up for these therapies, as they come costly. But the best way to come out from this depression is to be under the care of your family members. Their helping hand will certainly help to decrease depression.