A patient suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis, have a last option in their mind to opt for exercise. But this option should have been adopted much before that because regular exercise not only helps a patient to reduce joint pain, stiffness, but it also increases joint mobility and muscles strength, leaving a patient to a stress free life. Regular exercise also helps to reduce other risk factor problem that arises due to RA like, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, lungs problem, etc. But it is advised to a RA patient that before to start an exercise program, it is very important to consult a therapist, as all sorts of exercises can’t be fruitful for them. Exercise for hand and leg is very important for RA patient.
Advantage of exercise for RA patient
- Doing regular physical exercise increases the life span of a RA patient.
- It reduces several pains especially to hands and legs.
- Exercise helps a RA patient to strengthen their bones and muscles and it also avoids thinning of bones due to intake of some steroids and drugs.
- Doing exercise make a patient to feel better about themselves and are motivated to cope with certain circumstances.
- Walking, jogging, swimming, cycling, and aerobics are some best exercises that a patient may acquire to have a overall effect in their entire body. But in initial stage of RA patient, other than walking, it is advised to have some hand and leg exercise first.
Some hand exercise for RA patient
- Hand exercise may include several programs step by step
- At first hold your hand in upright position, where your finger, wrist, and thumbs are also in upward position.
- Roll your wrist several times in clock wise and then anti clock wise.
- After that try to touch your palm with your fingers.
- Next slowly try to spread your fingers as much as you can and then make a fist.
Some leg exercises for RA patient
- Walking and jogging is very important for the patient suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis as it increases the strength in bones and muscles.
- Lie straight to the ground to your left side, then extend your legs and try to roll your hips forward. Then raise your leg so as to form 45 degree angle. Return to the normal position and go for the other leg.
- Lay straight so that you’re back facing the floor. One leg should form 45 degree angle in knee, and the other resting on the floor straight. Slowly raise the extended leg. Repeat it with other leg too.
Safe exercises for RA patient
- All exercises are not suitable for RA patient. So there are some safe exercises for them.
- The simple and easiest exercises for them are stretching.
- Some strength gaining exercises like walking, jogging, etc
- There are some aerobics which are also called conditioning exercises. These exercises make the heart, lungs, and blood vessel healthier.
Exercises to be avoided by RA patient
- Jogging is essential but it is advised to avoid jogging on paved roads.
- Lifting heavy weight must be avoided as it creates pressure to the joints, and can cause further degradation to the bones and tissues.
It is always advised to do this exercise under the supervision of a specialist.