Rheumatoid Arthritis is an inflammatory disease. Its treatment includes several drugs like NSAIDs and DMARDs, but its ultimate aim is to deduce inflammation, pain in several joints, slows the damage, and reduce the disability of a patient. Other than these conventional medicines, there are several natural treatment also. Before treatment its diagnosis, which includes several blood tests, is very important. Once diagnosed early, it is helful to reduce joint damageand limit the impact of Rheumatoid arthritis. There are several drugs, non-drugs, and surgeries to treat the negative effects of RA.
There are several medicines available to treat Rheumatoid arthritis. But these conventional treatment includes some drugs like NSAIDs, DMARDs, and some steroids like Corticosteroids.
- NSAIDs– After diagnosis, doctors may prescribe first some painkillers like paracetamol and codeine to reduce the pain that occurs due to this disease. Then they may switch over to some non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to reduce pain and inflammation. These drugs are basically of two types commonly known as ibuprofen (advil) and naproxen (alve). Doctors may also give some high dosage of this medicines, if pain and inflammation becomes unbearable, but this dosage have some side effects like liver, stomach, and kidney to get damaged.
- DMARDs– Disease modifying antirheumatic drugs (DMARDs) are secondly preffered by the doctors if NSAIDs fails to treat the ailment. These drugs are prescribed in order to conserve the joints and the tissues from getting further damaged and also to avoid the friction caused due to inflammation. There are several DMARDs like methotrexate (trexall), hydroxyclosoquine (plaquenil), sulfasalazine (azulfidine), leflunomide (arava), etc. These drugs have some fatal side effects like damaging bone marrow, liver, lungs, etc.
- Steroids– A commonly found sreroid corticosteroid is injected directly into the joints to provide immediate relief from pain and swelling. These steroids also have some fatal side effects like causing infection and some cancer to the patients suffering from Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- TNF– Tumor necrosis factor (TNF) are factors known for relieving pain and some sort of stiffness to the joints. Some of these TNF include infliximab (remicade), etanercept (enbrel), golimumab (simpons), etc. It affects heart and causes some cancer.
- Therapies and Surgery– Some body and mind therapies, but under the supervision of a naturopath is very important for this treatment, as these therapies are very helpful to reduce stress. Some sort of surgery like total joint replacement, also becomes mandatory for this.
- Alternative treatment– Other than the conventional treatment, some natural treatment is also available. These treatment includes intake of some food suppliments like Omega 3 fatty acids, Boswellia (a type of herb), Gamma-linelonic acids, Selenium (a type of mineral), etc.
All these treatment are very important to treat arthritis especially Rheumatoid Arthritis. This should be done in order to relief a patient from pain, inflammation, and especially isolation from outer world.