Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune chronic disease and is linked to the overproduction of some protein especially Tumor Necrosis Factor (T N F), which causes some sort of inflammation and pain in several synovial joints like wrist, finger, knee, elbow, etc by accumulating synovium fluid to the affected areas. Here humira for rheumatoid arthritis acts as T N F blocker, as they help to reduce inflammation and other symptoms of this disease R A. Though these T N F blockers effect the immune system, they also lower the ability to fight some infections and may cause several fatal side effects. Humira for rheumatoid arthritis is prescribed along with methotrexate or other drugs to minimize the signs and effects of this disease and also prevents the further damage to the bones and joints.
Humira is a human derived antibody, produced by the combination of D N A technology that binds to human T N F alfa. Human body produces this factor naturally and this minimizes the inflammatory and immune responses. It is used when human body fails to produce this antibody. The dosage is taken once in a week and that too by injecting into the skin or deep muscle. Humira is used not only to reduce the signs and symptoms of R A but also for poluarticular juvenile idiopathic arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis, and crohn’s disease.
Side effects of humira
Humira for rheumatoid arthritis can cause serious side effects like infections, allergy, liver and heart problem, psoriasis, lupus, etc.
- Infections- Some infections are caused by virus, bacteria, and fungi like tuberculosis (T B), hepatitis B, etc. Some symptoms of T B may be severe cough, loss of weight, and fever. Symptoms of hepatitis B include yellow skin and eyes, dark urine, vomiting, loss of appetite, rash, and stomach disorder. Humira should be avoided if patients are found with these side effects.
- Allergy- Some allergic reaction includes swelling of eyes, face, liver, and trouble in breathing.
- Liver and heart problem- Consuming humira may cause some damage to the liver and may cause to heart failure.
- Psoriasis- It is a noncontiguous inflammatory skin disease, where some reddish type of patches occurs on the skin, which is covered with silvery patches and is filled with pus.
- Lupus- It is a chronic skin condition that spreads throughout the body of a patient causing some symptoms like pain, discomfort of chest, short of breath, etc.
Humira for rheumatoid arthritis, along with other drugs could be beneficial, as because it acts as T N F blocker, but these conventional drugs have several side effects which drags a patient of R A to some other treatments. Patients are advised not to use humira for rheumatoid arthritis if they have any sort of infection, allergy, diabetes, heart problem, and some sort of cancer. In these conditions humira may work negatively and patients may feel distressed. Along with these drugs it becomes necessary for the patients of R A to do regular exercise and follow some healthy diets, because they are natural suppressor of pain and inflammation.