Lupus is a state for a cluster of diseases, it is considered as an auto immune disorder. Lupus can affect multiple organs and parts, like; skin, kidneys, heart, blood cells, lungs and joints of different sizes. It can be categorized under four different types, they are:
- Systemic lupus erythematosus.
- Discoid lupus erythematosus.
- Drug induced lupus erythematosus.
- Neonatal lupus erythematosus.
- S L E or Systemic lupus erythematosus is also the most well known of all lupus category, it causes severe damage and it is the most serious form of lupus.
- As S L E is a systemic disease, symptoms can be very diverse depending upon the organ which is affected. The symptoms can vary differently between every person. Multiple symptoms can also be noticed among the few patients, some may experience only particular type of symptoms. Some of the common symptoms that can be seen amongst the lupus rheumatoid arthritis patients are:
- High fever, with unexplained fever cause.
- Swelling of joints.
- Sudden hair loss.
- Tremendous exertion, fatigue.
- Textured, scaly skin or rash.
- Swelling of ankle due to accumulation of fluids.
- Acute chest pain.
- Butterfly rash, common amongst the women.
- Repeated convulsion.
- Mouth or nasal ulcer.
- Acute joint pain, arthralgia.
Patient suffering from lupus will experience severe to mild pain, this symptom prevails in every cases. Patient will feel joint pain but in absence of swelling, but in few cases intermittent to diminutive swelling might occur. Patient suffering from rheumatoid arthritis will certainly experience pain along with swelling, though pain is less prominent. R A causes joint deformities along with severe bone destruction, which cause brittleness. That is why; among rheumatoid arthritis patients surgery such as joint replacement and reconstruction happen most number of times in comparison to systemic lupus erythematosus. Some lupus patient might aggravate joint condition similar to rheumatoid arthritis that is when physician suspect patient to be having both the diseases. Physicians prefer treating these diseases first with N S A I D (non steroidal anti inflammatory drug) like; ibuprofen, naproxen, diclofenac, Cox 2 inhibitors etc. D M A R D (disease modifying anti rheumatoid drug) is also been among the top prescribed medicine, T N F alpha blockers like; golimumab, adalimumab, etanercept are used to suppress some auto antigen.
Variation in the S T A T 4 gene (Signal transducer and activator of transcription), which is proved to be an integral part of immune system can cause lupus rheumatoid arthritis. In many cases it is seen that patients suffer only from lupus at a time, but many incidence occurred where patient suffer with overlapping diseases. Many such overlaps with S L E are; lupus rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus and Scleroderma, Lupus with myositis etc.