Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a chronic, inflammatory disorder that causes inflammation and pain to the joints, especially the joints of hands and feet. It is an autoimmune disease, where the immune system attacks the body cells. We are well aware of the treatment through several medicines and drugs, but our basic intention wants to go for the treatment naturally. There are several natural treatment and also some home remedies that can provide relief from Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Some Natural Treatment
- One such treatment goes with a type of fat popularly known as Omega-3 fatty acids. This fatty acids are not produced by our body, we have to consume them through some outsource, by having it in our diet. There is some strong evidence that these fatty acids do help in RA. It works by minimizing the production of chemicals that causes inflammation. Source of Omega-3 fatty acids are found in some cold water fishes like herrings, sardines, salmon, tuna, and anchovies. But this fishes may contain some percent of mercury and some other chemicals. So it is advisable to consume fish oil capsules, which are free from these unwanted chemicals.
- Boswell is a type of herb generally found in India and its subcontinent, whose consumption may block the chemical reaction, which causes inflammation. But there is no evidence that it slows the progress of RA.
- Devil’s claw, a plant generally found in Southern part of Africa, is used by the people there for RA, fever, and skin problem. Now a day Devil’s claw is used as Vioxx, which is very effective to reduce certain pain.
- Heat and cold treatment- By applying cold ice pack to the affected area may reduce the inflammation, where as heat acts here to relax your muscles and helps the blood to flow smoothly. Heating may be done with a heating pad or a damp towel. One can also have a heating effect by taking a steam bath.
- Magnets are said to have helpful in Rheumatoid Arthritis, especially for pain. One may have magnets in the form of bracelets, necklaces, etc.
- There are some mind and body therapies, which may be beneficial in conventional treatment, by providing a stress free life, to the patients suffering from RA.
Some Home Treatment
- A massage with olive oil is very helpful for RA patients
- A patient may go through fastening for a whole day which will help him in digesting toxins (Ama)
- It is advisable to have some turmeric powder mixed with warm water , and have it twice a day before meal
- Lemon juice with honey mixed in a cup or glass of luke warm water, twice a day before meal.
- Patients suffering from RA may also apply cinnamon and camphor oils in the affected area. This treatment is specially prescribed in ayurveda to get relief from pain and inflammation.
- Patients are advised to take some aerobics classes and swimming classes in order to get relief from RA.
Taking care is important
There may be much natural treatment for Rheumatoid Arthritis but one has to choose the best out of those. Your doctor will help you out to go for the best treatment. As natural treatments are free from any side effects, we opt to grab it first. But a healthy diet and some daily exercise may always be helpful for those patients suffering from RA.