One of the fiercest forms of arthritis is Rheumatoid Arthritis which has the record of affecting nearly more than one percent of the total world’s population and in which majority of person affected are women about 75 percent. It is a chronic, autoimmune type of disease which attacks the soft synovial joints of the patients. Yoga is one of its prominent treatments to provide some sort of relief to the affected joints. Now day’s rheumatoid arthritis and yoga are co-related to each other as the impact of yoga on R A seems to be very beneficial to the patients. Since from ancient period yoga is very helpful for the people to built strength and flexibility, relieve some sort of stress, increases energy level to do regular work, and it improves concentration on the whole. The meditative part of yoga helps a patient to have a sound sleep and feel more energetic and relief some sort of joint pain.
Benefits of yoga
Yoga helps a rheumatoid arthritis patient by building muscle strength, reducing some sort of anxiety, increasing flexibility, relieving from pain and stress, etc. Yoga not only counters part pain and inflammation but also it helps to reduce the intake of several drugs and steroids, which plays an important role in having some fatal side effects to the body parts leading a patient to mortality. With the help of yoga a person’s physical structure and his life can be greatly influenced. Some poses of yoga plays a crucial part in strengthening the soft joints and business with rheumatoid arthritis. It helps in reducing the risk of stiffness and mobilizes the joints t function normally. It also helps to maintain the level of uric acid and avoid obesity through this practice of yoga.
Basic rheumatoid arthritis yoga
There is several asana that may help a patient of rheumatoid arthritis are single raise leg or sukhasana, wrist bending, ankle bending, ankle rotating, hand clenching, side stretching, shoulder stretching, neck stretching, relaxation with yoga, etc.
- Single raise leg- This is a stretching exercise done by raising one’s single leg. It proves to be effective to the leg, lower back muscles and the area of the abdomen. This posture leads a person to keep one leg on the floor while the other is raised.
- Wrist and ankle bending- Rheumatoid Arthritis primarily affects the wrists and the ankles, so this yoga is very beneficial for the patients. It requires up and down movement of the referred joints.
- Shoulder stretching- Generally RA leads a patient to a disease called frozen shoulder, so it is readily advised to the patients to do this exercise regularly.
- Neck stretching- Some tension in the neck can result in its stiffness, headaches, etc. Doing yoga can ease the tension and helps in its toning. Patients having neck problem are advised not to do yoga without the help of a practitioner.
- Relaxation with yoga- This relaxation pose helps not only physically and mentally but also spiritually to Rheumatoid Arthritis patient.
Yoga is always advisable for the patient of rheumatoid arthritis, as it brings relief from pain and helps to relax and enjoy regular daily activities.