Rheumatoid arthritis patients are very much synonymous with back pain. R A is a systemic disease that causes inflammation, which targets the synovial lining of the joints. Rheumatoid arthritis is an auto immune disease, and actual cause of triggering the disease is not properly known. Rheumatoid arthritis causes inflammation of the synovial membranes, which causes the deterioration of pannus. It’s a condition of swollen synovial tissues which mainly raps articular cartilage. This whole process causes eradication in the cartilages, bones, and the ligaments. Fibrotic tissues takes the place after pannus is affected, pannus is also replaced if calcification starts happening. Joint subluxation conditions are the resultant effect of calcification. Calcification is a problem caused by chemical imbalance in the body. Unnatural deposition of calcium salt starts hardening the soft tissues mainly resulting into pain and stiffness.
The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis back pain i.e. in the spine are very much similar to the osteoarthritis symptoms or degenerative arthritis. These are some of the symptoms which are pretty common amongst the patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis back pain, though it can differ within the individuals.
- Pain is the most common symptom especially around the lower half of the skull; it will feel heavy and numb. Commonly affected joints are cervical vertebrae and thoracic vertebrae.
- Restrain in agility around the back area, as a result flexibility comes under scrutiny.
- Rheumatoid arthritis affect the spine joints, as a result eroding cartilages don’t provide smooth joint movement. In that case joint’s end grind along with the movement, which makes popping or crackling sounds known as crepitus. Although it might happen in a case where bone get fractured.
- Tenderness and swelling along with continues feeling of burning sensation will prevail around the spine area.
- A definite change in the walking posture can be noticed among the patients suffering from R A back pain which is a prime symptom that a person has an affected spine.
- Headaches are quite often to be felt by the patients similar to cervical rheumatoid arthritis.
- If the pain started to feel around arms that might be an indicating factor where cervical nerve is getting affected.
- Untimely nature calls, along with lack of controlling the urination and bowel pressure, problems in urinating are some indications.
- Pain which spread all the way down to legs might be an indication that the root of the lumbar nerve is getting affected.
Occupational therapy is very helpful to improve joint function; OT mainly focuses on exercises which makes patient easy to co-up with the disease. Occupational therapy along with other reliable therapies eases down pain and increase joint mobility of the patient.
There are primarily three basic fundamentals for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis back pain:
- Medication to reduce pain to make patient comfortable.
- Therapies and mental counseling for the R A patient to compete and stay able in their daily life.
- Slowing down the rate of progression of the disease by any means, medication and therapies are the natural choices.