Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disorder and it can also be termed as systemic auto immune disease. R A is an incurable disease, swelling of joints and pain can be experienced primarily as a main symptoms. Medicinal dependency is usually the basic of every treatment for R A. It is observed in many cases of R A, drugs that are mostly prescribed can cause severe side effects. But rheumatoid arthritis can lead to many other diseases; there are many common side effects of rheumatoid arthritis.
As a systemic inflammatory disorder R A affect multiple organs, or can become a lead cause of many diseases. 1. Skin 2. Lungs 3. Heart 4. Kidneys. R A can affect many such organs of the human body.
- DERMATOLOGICAL: Rheumatoid nodule is a subcutaneous nodule, found under the skin. Many forms of vasculitis like; cutaneous small vessel vasculitis, Kawasaki disease, Churg-strauss syndrome, etc. Apart from the many skin related symptoms includes:Pyoderma gangrenoum. 2. Sweet’ syndrome, 3. Erythema nodosum. 4. Palmer erythema. Etc.
- LUNGS: One fourth of the estimated R A patients develops rheumatoid lung disease. Lung fibrois and Caplan’s syndrome are some common lung problems faced by rheumatoid arthritis patients.
- HEART: A S V D (arteriosclerotic vascular disease) also known as artherosclerosis can be a direct consequence from R A disease. Other common forms of diseases related with rheumatoid arthritis are pericardium disorder (pericarditis), valvulitis, endocarditis and may other diseases related to heart.Apart from these organs there are also many like: 1. Eye (ocular). 2. Neurological. 3. Blood (hematological). 4. Liver (hepatic).
- EYE (OCULAR): Eye can be affected by scleritis, with the deterioration it can end up with scleromalacia. Eye dryness may lead to dry eye syndrome (D E S), kerato conjunctivitis sicca (KCS) also reffered as keratitis sicca are common diseases by indirect effect of R A.
- NEUROLOGICAL: C T S (carpal tunnel syndrome), peripheral neuropathy, mononeuritis multiplex, are basic neuro related problems suffered amongst the R A patients.
- BLOOD (hematological): W A I H A (warm auto immune hemolytic anemia) may be caused due to prolonged suffering from R A. Fetty’s syndrome and thrombocytosis can also be observed in many cases.
It is observed that patient suffering from rheumatoid arthritis can be prone to other diseases also. It is because of deteriorating immune system. As because it is a systemic disease, R A has certainly got a probability to affect multiple organs of the body. Not only because of the nature of this disease, but also side effects from the prescribed drug is a common phenomenon. But one has to understand, with such a complication to treat R A, patients must not avoid such drugs, only because of its side effects. New effective medicine with limited side effects is prescribed, as compared to early years of the treatment. It is still a long way to go before scientists find a concrete remedy for this chronic disease.